Massage can be an enormous benefit to both mother and baby.
As the mother’s body undergoes many changes during pregnancy, massage can help support her both physically and emotionaly.
Pregnancy can be a wonderful time but the joy of carrying a new baby can place many stresses on joints, ligaments and organs which may cause pain and discomfort. Massage can help alleviate aches and pains, reduce stress levels and promote calm. It helps improve relaxation which can result in a shorter easier, less painful birth.
There are many benefits to pregnancy massage including:
- Stimulation of circulatory system, this helps improve blood flow around the body including the placenta providing oxygen and nourishment to the baby to help aid development.
- Stimulates the lymphatic system encouraging draining and helping with the elimination of metabolic waste products, reducing swelling.
- Can help regulate blood pressure.
- It can aid a sluggish digest system encouraging bowel movements reducing the symptoms of constipation.
- Releases muscular tension of the back, shoulders and hips, easing the affects of sciatica and other problems associated with the postural changes of pregnancy.
- Encourages deep relaxation promoting sleep, reducing emotional stress and creates a sense of well being